5 Best Places to Eat in Kuala Lumpur

Jalan Alor by Xuanxu CC BY-SA 2.0

5 Best Places to Eat in Kuala Lumpur

Posted on by Add a comment

This article was written by one of our Community members. The authors’ views are entirely his or her own and may not reflect the views of AsiaRooms.com. Please visit our page on submitting a guest article if you would like to contribute.

Kuala Lumpur can offer its visitors such a diverse range of food. With influences from China and India, you can’t fail to find something you like. But this can be the tricky bit – finding the good stuff. So, here are a few of my favourite foodie places in Kuala Lumpur.

Chinatown Petaling Street

Chinatown, Kuala Lumpur by Khalzuri, CC BY-SA 2.0

Chinatown

I love Kuala Lumpur’s Chinatown. It’s not just because it smells of permanently roasting nuts, nor because it’s a place where you can buy endless quantities of tat. It’s because opposite a man selling (definitely not fake) Rolex watches lays a haven of fantastic food. There’s a large square area full of delightfully no-frills plastic tables and chairs, and lining each side are cart after cart of food vendors selling all manner of meat and curry and noodles dishes. Now go and buy some market tat.

Nearby hotels: 1) Swiss-Inn Kuala Lumpur   2) Hotel China Town Inn

Jalan Telawi in Bangsar

Jalan Telawi, Bangsar by Auswandern Malaysia, CC BY 2.0

Sri Nirwana Maju, Bangsar

Just across the road from Bangsar Village is Restoran Sri Nirwana Maju and the first thing to tell you about this place is that whenever I saw it, it was full. A tell tale sign you know you’re onto a winner. They serves their rice in a banana leaf, and although this isn’t the only the reason it’s always busy, I think it’s a nice little perk. They do lots of awesome Indian food, with curries being a speciality. Slobber over it while sitting inside or out.

Nearby hotels: 1) Cititel Mid Valley    2) Nomad Residences Bangsar

Jalan Alor

Jalan Alor by Xuanxu CC BY-SA 2.0

Jalan Alor

Jalan Alor is known for being a street entirely dedicated to selling food. On the street. You might even call it street food. Anyway, it’s probably my favourite street in KL because it’s such an attack on all five senses not least because it sells everything and anything. To be honest, half the fun is walking up and down the street looking at everything – I’m talking food and people now.

Nearby hotels: 1) The Courtyard Boutique Hotel    2) Apple Hotel

Changkat Bukit Bintang

Bistros at Changkat Bukit Bintang by projectnada, CC BY-SA 2.0

Changkat Bukit Bintang

I really like this street because it gives you something a bit nicer, a bit more upmarket, and somewhere where the seats aren’t made of plastic. Changkat Bukit Bintang is lined with nice restaurants of all different types of cuisine and an assortment of swanky bars. If you’ve got a hankering for a bit of posh dining or a pint of Guinness, which I am man enough to admit that I did, then you it’s decent place to come and get it.

Nearby hotels: 1) Radius International Hotel   2) V’La Park

Oh, and I can’t leave you without mentioning the national dish of Malaysia, nasi lemak. It usually consists of rice, various vegetables and a variety of curries. You might also find a few other ingredients thrown in and that’s the beauty of it, everywhere you go, it’s served slightly differently and no two are the same. Fortunately, I like my food to surprise me.

About Richard Leighton

Richard Leighton is a wannabe vagabond currently living and working in London. With ambitions of being location independent, a combination of solo and group travel has so far taken him to South East Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Central America, west coast USA and smatterings of Europe. After gaining a psychology degree, he went to Mexico as a volunteer English teacher and so began the travel addiction. Always pondering his next move, he's a hammock enthusiast, serial sunset photographer and absolutely loves a bungy jump.

More articles by Richard