Geylang Serai Hari Raya Bazaar | AsiaRooms.com Community

Pillows and cushions

Photos: Geylang Serai Bazaar, Singapore

Posted on by Add a comment

The Hari Raya Bazaar in Geylang Serai is one of the most anticipated night markets in Singapore.

Held every year during the Ramadhan fasting month, the market near Paya Lebar MRT Station attracts hundreds of people who come to shop for food, clothing and festive items.

Hari Raya Puasa, also known as Eid, Aidilfitri or Lebaran, is celebrated by Muslims across the world following a month of fasting – and it’s at night bazaars like this where you will find traditional Malay delicacies.

This year’s market was open from 20 July to 18 August as the first day of Hari Raya Puasa fell on 19 August. It was good to see that the crowd were not just Muslims who came to purchase food for the breaking of fast after sunset, but also non-Muslims and tourists alike.

As a Malaysian, I was happy to have my taste of Ramly burger (Malaysian-style burger), keropok lekor (fried fish sticks), karipap (curry puffs) and cempedak goreng (fried jackfruit). Can’t wait for next year’s bazaar – where I’ll definitely get myself one of those beautiful Malay dresses!

About Wan Phing Lim

Wan Phing is the Online Editor at AsiaRooms.com. Born in Penang, Malaysia, she has lived in Beijing, London, Benevento, Kuala Lumpur, Manchester and currently resides in Singapore. She loves travel, photography and discovering new trends.

More articles by Wan Phing